Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Whipworm Infection in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on July 16, 2015
Whipworms

What are Whipworms?

Whipworms, or Trichuris vulpis, are common intestinal parasites of domestic dogs. These large parasites embed themselves in the sensitive lining of the dog’s intestine. They burrow their slender, “whip-like” heads into the dog’s intestinal lining and dine on tissue, blood and other bodily fluids, sucking out essential nutrients. Adult females can lay thousands of eggs every day, which pass out in the dog’s feces and contaminate soil, grass and other areas. Whipworm eggs are extremely resistant to temperature and weather extremes. They can survive for years in the environment. Dogs get infected by ingesting those eggs, such as by walking through a contaminated area and then licking their paws or fur. Whipworms cause varying degrees of gastrointestinal irritation and inflammation, including belly-aches, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. In some cases, the symptoms become quite severe. In other cases, dogs infected with whipworms don’t show any signs of discomfort.

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning