Valley Fever in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on August 15, 2016
Valley Fever

Definition of Valley Fever in Dogs

“Valley Fever” is the common name for coccidioidomycosis, which is an uncommon but extremely severe and potentially fatal disease caused by Coccidioides immitis. This fungus thrives in the hot, dry, dusty areas of the deep southwestern United States and in parts of Central and South America. It normally lives in a dormant state several inches down in dry soil. After a good rainfall, the fungi come back to life and spread by wind and dust storms. Earthquakes, building demolition, land construction projects and other things that cause substantial soil disruption can also trigger release of the fungi. Dogs can get Valley Fever by inhaling just a few of the highly infectious fungal spores. Many infected dogs never actually get sick. However, those that do can become seriously ill, developing breathing problems, cough, weakness, lameness, weight loss, severe pain and seizures. This disease can be fatal.

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning