Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Treatment and Prognosis of Salmon Poisoning Disease in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on July 16, 2015
Salmon Poisoning
Salmon Poisoning (Nanophyteus Salmincola) Guide:

Treatment Options

The goals of treating salmon poisoning disease are to stabilize the dog and resolve the shock, symptoms and systemic illness that typically accompany this disease. It is also critical to eliminate the infective parasite from the dog’s system.

Dogs that are acutely ill from salmon poisoning probably will be admitted to a veterinary hospital. They often need to be given intravenous fluids, electrolytes and medications to control their nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and to restore them to normal hydration levels. Some of the drugs used to treat infection with Neorickettsia helminthoeca are oxytetracycline, doxycycline, tetracycline, ampicillin, chloramphenicol and praziquantel. There are others. These medications have been used alone and sometimes together, depending upon how severe the infection is in a particular dog. Supportive care, including a warm, clean environment and good nutritional support, is also essential. Sometimes, blood transfusions may be necessary, especially if an infected dog becomes severely anemic.


Without aggressive treatment, dogs that eat fresh raw fish infected with Neorickettsia helminthoeca usually die within one or two weeks. With early diagnosis and treatment, the prognosis can be fair to quite good. Unfortunately, many cases go undiagnosed, especially in hunting dogs or dogs that are allowed to roam freely in contaminated areas.

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right

Disorders Similar to Salmon Poisoning (Nanophyteus Salmincola)

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning