Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on July 16, 2015
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Definition of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) is a potentially life-threatening disease caused by tiny parasitic bacteria, Rickettsia rickettsii, that are carried in the saliva and blood of ticks. These parasites spend most of their lives inside rodents, but they don’t make the rodents sick. Dogs get RMSF when an adult tick bites an infected rodent and then later feeds on the dog. Dogs can also get RMSF through transfusions of blood taken from an infected dog. The infective bacteria congregate and multiply in cells lining the dog’s small blood vessels, causing bleeding, low blood pressure and clotting abnormalities, which can be fatal. Some dogs with RMSF never seem sick, while others develop a high fever, body aches, tissue swelling, breathing difficulties, coughing, vomiting, bloody urine, bloody stools, pain and other symptoms. In severe cases, dogs develop behavioral changes, seizures, shock, coma and sudden death.

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right

Disorders Similar to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning