Symptoms of Poison Ivy in Dogs
Symptoms of Poison ivy reactions to the skin in dogs can include raised bumps or swelling of the skin. The dog may become very itchy, and the skin may also become inflamed. The raised bumps may start to blister and ooze clear fluids. If a dog ingests Poison ivy, the dog may experience sudden vomiting or diarrhea.
If your dog begins to show any of these symptoms, a prompt visit to the veterinarian is highly recommended. Any type of sudden allergic reaction can be dangerous if the reaction progresses to a condition called anaphylaxis. During an anaphylactic episode, a strong reaction to an allergen can cause swelling of the airways and respiratory system.
While reactions to Poison ivy in dogs do not occur often, it is still a good idea to keep your dog away from this plant. If you are walking your dog in an area that may have Poison ivy, take the time to look up the plant and memorize what it looks like. Many dogs are protected from Poison ivy’s urushiol oils through their fur. However, if the oil is on dog’s fur it is possible for a person to come into contact with the oils by petting the dog.