Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Causes and Prevention of Poison Ivy in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on July 16, 2015
Poison Ivy


Poison ivy is a woody vine that produces a toxic resin called urushiol that causes intense itching and rashes when it comes into contact with skin. Poison ivy grows in most parts of the United States and is best identified by its bright green color and three-leaf structure.

How Poison Ivy Affects Dogs

While a dog’s hair coat provides some physical protection from poison ivy, the skin of exposed areas where hair is thin or absent, such as on the belly, the inner legs and the muzzle, can be dramatically affected by contact with the plant. Clinical signs include itching, scratching, open sores and inflamed, irritated, red and raised skin patches. If a dog ingests poison ivy, it can become severely ill.

Causes of Adverse Effects of Poison Ivy

“Poison ivy” is Toxicodendron radicans. It causes severe contact dermatitis in dogs and people. Small breeds with short-haired coats are more likely to develop clinical signs. Poison ivy can cause severe gastrointestinal illness when ingested.

Preventing Adverse Poison Ivy Reactions in Dogs

The best way to prevent the extreme contact dermatitis and/or gastrointestinal distress caused by poison ivy is to prevent a dog from having access to the plant. Dogs should not be allowed to roam freely in unfamiliar areas, and owners should be conscious of the types of flora in areas they frequent with their pets.

Special Notes

If an owner suspects that his dog has nibbled on any part of a poisonous plant, the dog should be taken to a veterinarian immediately. If a dog has run through an area where poison ivy is prevalent, the owner should be careful not to pet or rub the dog’s coat until a thorough bathing (with gloves) has happened to remove toxic resin residue. The prognosis for dogs with dermatitis caused by contact with poison ivy is excellent. Ingestion of the plant causes a more severe systemic reaction, but this occurs uncommonly.

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning