Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Symptoms of Hookworm Infection in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on July 16, 2015
Hookworm Infection

How Hookworms Affect Dogs

Hookworms live most of their lives inside of a dog’s small intestine, where they latch onto the intestinal lining and feed on the dog’s blood. They leave raw, weeping sores at the sites of their bites. Dogs with a heavy hookworm load suffer abdominal pain. In other words, they have bad belly-aches. They also have digestive problems, develop diarrhea, become weak and generally feel lousy. When hookworms penetrate a dog’s skin (usually through its paws), they leave raw wounds at their points of entry.

Symptoms of Hookworms

Young dogs tend to be more severely affected by hookworms than older dogs. When a dog of any age becomes infected with these intestinal parasites, its owner may notice one or more of the following signs:

  • Pale mucous membranes (especially, pale gums)
  • Dark, tarry stools (from digested blood; known as “melena”)
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Poor hair coat
  • Poor body condition
  • Ill thrift
  • Loss of appetite (inappetence; anorexia)
  • Weight loss
  • Cough (dry, hacking)
  • Sores on the paws, especially between the toes (red; infected; presence of pus; caused by the parasites directly penetrating the skin)
  • Sudden death

Dogs at Increased Risk

Young dogs, and those with compromised or suppressed immune system function, are more likely to become affected by hookworms than are mature, healthy animals. There is no breed or gender predisposition to infection with these parasites.

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right

Disorders Similar to Hookworm

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning