Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Causes and Prevention of Anaphylactic Shock in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on July 16, 2015
Anaphylactic Shock

Causes of Anaphylaxis in Dogs

There are countless potential causes of anaphylactic shock in dogs, depending upon the particular animal’s immune system. The inciting allergen may be saliva from an insect bite, venom from a snake bite or a bee sting, a particular medication, topical parasite treatments, an environmental allergen (mold, pollen, grasses, chemicals, dust, etc.), some component of the dog’s diet, a vaccine or virtually anything else. The substance, called the allergen, is perceived as foreign and harmful by the dog’s immune system. Initial exposure to the allergen – which can be by physical contact, inhalation or ingestion - produces a cascade of immunological changes that essentially put the dog’s body on heightened alert to any subsequent exposure to the same allergen. Upon re-exposure, these mobilized components of the dog’s immune system aggressively activate, synthesize and release what are collectively called “inflammatory mediators.” Within a matter of minutes, the situation can become critical. The inflammatory mediators cause dilation (stretching beyond normal dimensions) of the blood vessels, increased leakiness (permeability) of the blood vessel walls, dangerously low blood pressure (hypotension), respiratory abnormalities, accumulation of fluid in the throat, excessive secretion of substances into the airways, heart rhythm disturbances, gastrointestinal distress, severe itchiness (pruritis) and widespread pain.

Prevention of Anaphylaxis in Dogs

The best way to prevent anaphylactic shock is to avoid exposing a dog to any substances that it is known to be allergic to. Of course, this is only realistic after the dog has had an allergic reaction to something, and even then only if the offending allergen can actually be identified. Intravenous medications should be administered slowly to reduce the chances of an anaphylactic reaction to the medication.

Special Notes

Once a dog suffers anaphylactic shock from exposure to something in its environment, that allergen usually will continue to cause severe allergic reactions when the dog comes into contact with it again. Occasionally, a dog may go into anaphylactic shock on the very first exposure to an allergen, although it is much more likely to go into anaphylaxis on a second exposure.

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right

Disorders Similar to Anaphylactic Shock

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning