Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Keeping Your Dog Safe Around the Pool

Source: PetWave, Updated on October 27, 2016
Pool Safety
Pool Safety Tips Guide:

Things to Consider

On a hot summer day a swimming pool is a great solution for cooling down and having some fun. However, like with small children, your dog can be at risk of getting hurt or killed if not properly supervised. Here are some simple Dos and Don’ts to help ensure a safe and fun summer by the pool for everyone.


  • Remember that around the pool summer heat can cause heat stroke. Keep your eyes out for the symptoms (lethargy, excessive drooling, foaming at the mouth, etc.)
  • After swimming in the pool, help avoid any potential irritation caused by chlorine by washing your dog off with fresh water.
  • Clean ears after swimming. Many dogs can get ear infections. Dogs with floppy ears are most prone for infection.
  • Install a Scamper Ramp. This makes it easier for small or older dogs to exit the pool.
  • Keep your pet's eyes safe from chlorine irritation with Doggles.


  • Don't assume your dog knows how to swim. If he/she has never swum before, make sure to slowly introduce them to the water. Never throw your dog into the pool and think they will just swim!
  • Don't let your dog drink the pool water. Chlorine will make him/her sick.
  • Don't allow a dog to swim in a pool that has a cover. This cover can be deadly if the dog gets stuck underneath it.

By keeping these simple things in mind you will in a better position to ensure that you and your dog have a safe, enjoyable summer.

Basic Care Topics
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right

Topics Similar to Pool Safety Tips

Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning