Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomMiddle
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Billboard
Size Mappings: top_billboard_970x250

Why Foxtail Grasses are Dangerous to Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on October 27, 2016
Foxtails
Foxtail Guide:

Foxtail Danger to Dogs

The danger of the foxtail lies within its barbed seed. If the barbed seeds penetrate the skin, they can cause severe allergic reactions. They can also migrate through the skin into other areas of the body.

What is Foxtail?

The foxtail is an annual grass that can grow between one and three feet tall. It is named the ‘foxtail’ due to its fluffy foxtail like appearance on the tip of each blade of grass. The grasses grow near water ways, ponds, and even in damp yards. Once the grass matures and finishes its spiky flowering stage, the entire grass turns a brown color and the seeds mature.

How Foxtail Can Affect Your Dog

Foxtail seeds have evolved in such a way that they grab easily onto any passing object. Pets often get the seeds sprinkled in their coat if they walk through the grasses. They can also get the seeds in their paws, ears, eyes, and mouth. If the seeds are inhaled they can cause violent sneezing and even bloody discharge from the nose and mouth. If the seeds get into the eyes they cause severe irritation and the eye may appear to be glued shut.

When foxtail seeds get into the mouth they cause such severe irritation that the animal will often have problems swallowing and may repeatedly begin to gag. Animals will often begin to paw continuously at their mouth as well if they get a foxtail seed stuck between their teeth or caught on their tongue. Foxtails on the skin can cause sudden swelling and the appearance of a mysterious lump.

If you think that your pet may have been exposed to a foxtail, take your pet to a veterinarian immediately. If the seeds are not removed properly, they can migrate through the skin and hurt internal organs. Try to reduce your pet’s exposure to foxtails by becoming familiar with the plant’s appearance.

Basic Care Topics
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: TopRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Top_Right
Size Mappings: Top_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomRight
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Right
Size Mappings: Btm_Right
Mapping: DefaultPageMap
Map Field: BottomLeft
Ad Slot: PW1_RON_Btm_Left_300x250
Size Mappings:

Dog Health Center

Lead Poisoning

Dogs can be poisoned when they ingest lead – especially if they have repeated exposure to the substance. Lead is found in a number of places and in a number of different things

Learn more about: Lead Poisoning