Advice Please!

My dog was diagnosed with a melanoma in her mouth - lymph nodes were clear and vet suggests a radical surgery to remove part of the pallet and jaw in hopes that they will get all the cancer saying it was an 80% chance of success.

I'm concerned if her quality of life will be effected long term.  My gut is telling me not to go for the surgery - to put her through this pain - but the doctors suggest strongly that it is the way to go.

Has anyone experienced the surgery to remove a dog's melanoma and if so, what was/is your advice on whether I should go ahead with the surgery. 

Thanks,  Etna


avatar

Snoopy84

In Dogs

Reply To: Etna

First, I am sorry to hear about your dog having melanoma.

An important conversation to have with your vet before deciding to have the surgery is how far the cancer has spread (What stage is the cancer in?). If it has not spread further than the mouth (lymph nodes, major organs), then I would elect to have the surgery. However, before doing so, you may want to talk with your vet about reconstructive surgery, and how it can help to repair and rebuild those areas.

If the cancer has already spread to other areas (lymph nodes, major organs), then I would just move forward chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and/or other medical and supportive techniques.

I know its hard, but I hope everything works out for you and your dog:)

avatar

Snoopy84

In Dogs

Reply To: Etna

You may also ask your vet about:

In 2007, the United States Drug Administration (the USDA) conditionally licensed a vaccine for the treatment (not for the prevention) of canine malignant melanoma. This vaccine has been shown to produce immune reactions in dogs, resulting in tumor rejection and prolonged survival times. Studies about this vaccine and other potential treatment protocols for canine melanoma continue to be conducted.

Source: https://www.petwave.com/dogs/dog-health-center/skin-disorders/melanoma/treatment.aspx

 

avatar

Etna

In Dogs

Reply To: Snoopy84

Thanks for your help.

My vet has told me it hasn't spread, but my gut, or mother's intuition says it's too late - I've seen an "oldness" over the past 6 months, and I sure don't want to put her through this if it means I've only got my sweet Irish Terrier for another year.  Anyway, I'm still pondering.  I'm going with the vet's suggestion, but somehow feeling it is the wrong decision.  I appreciate your confirming what the best information has advised.  Thanks,
Etna

avatar

shutter38

In Dogs

Reply To: Snoopy84

hi my name is lisa,n i need help cant get no answes,my chow has recently become weak n losin weight.she was energetic untill 2weeks ago,somtimes i think she only eats to make me happy,shes getting older n i knows shes tired.but shes been an amazing gurl.i got her from thes people that the ladys husband abused her,so she had to get rid of her.n iv had her ever since.shes not herself these last2 weeks.i just need a second opion.i kn what the vet will tell me.in my heart i cant do it

avatar

Etna

In Dogs

Reply To: shutter38

Being a good mother means there are tough decisions that have to be made.  Just do the best thing for the sweet little dog and be thankful for the wonderful memories you will have.  My Limerick won't be with me much longer but I will love her and spoil her while I have the chance.  A friend said she didn't understand why God would give us pets that don't live long and we have to grieve them.  I don't know why, but it does show me my mortality.   Limerick is an Irish Terrier and is sweet and loving to everyone who comes to visit but I know she would defend me to the death if needed.  She has been a good friend and I will make her last days as much fun as I can for all the love and fun she has given me. 

1
Submit your own photos!
Dog Breeds Selector

Find your perfect match based on activity level, size, intelligence and more!