Tylenol (Acetaminophen) Overdose in Dogs

Source: PetWave, Updated on December 20, 2016
Acetaminophen

Definition of Acetaminophen Overdose:

Acetaminophen is a widely available over-the-counter pain reliever and anti-fever medication that is produced and sold for use by people. It is considered to be an analgesic (pain reliever) and antipyretic (fever reducer). Tylenol is one of the more common brand names of this drug, although it also is often referred to as Paracetamol in Australia and Great Britain. Acetaminophen can be extremely toxic to dogs, even at small doses. In order for a dog to overdose, they must ingest or swallow Acetaminophen. Just coming into physical contact will not cause your dog any harm. The harm to pets usually happens when this human over-the-counter drug is given in too large a dose by uninformed but well-intentioned owners who are trying to treat fever or perceived pain in their pets. Acetaminophen can also be toxic when a dog ingests too much of it by “getting into the drug bottle” accidentally; this route of exposure is the most common cause of acetaminophen overdose problems in domestic dogs. Dogs that ingest acetaminophen even at low doses but chronically over time can also develop toxic effects. If you suspect your dog has ingested any medication that contains Acetaminophen consult your veterinarian immediately.

Quick Facts

  • Prevention
  • Contagiousness
  • Prognosis
  • Hereditary
  • Seasonal
  • Cost to Treat
  • Symptoms
  • Breed Specific
  • Zoonosis
  • Emergency

Disorders Similar to Tylenol Toxicity

Dog Health Center

Myasthenia Gravis

Weak muscles or sudden fatigue in dogs, more technically referred to as Myasthenia gravis, is a syndrome that involves skeletal muscle weakness in the absence of obvious nervous system abnormalities.

Learn more about: Myasthenia Gravis